Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Why is Christmas so colorful?


Last week was our feast… The Muslims big feast which lasted for 4 days.
Some people call it the Bairam and it comes in Thul Hijja (a month in the Islamic calendar) it's the month when people heads to Mecca in Saudi Arabia to do the pilgrimage (Al-Hajj) as long as they have the strength, the money, and a pilgrimage visa of course… at last it all happens by God's will.
For those who stay home to celebrate the feast, we usually fast on the 9th day of Thul Hijja, and then sacrifice a lamb or vealer and give our family, friends, and the poor from its meat.

Today was the Christmas for all catholic Christians and for many times it comes to meet our feast just days after our celebration.

When I think about our celebration… I don't find much fun in it, although I can't deny we share the happiness of taking a long vacation and days off from work, we visit family and gather for lunch and dinner, and we buy new clothes (only when the financial status is good coz it's not a sale season) and hang out.

But what does make Christmas more cheerful, more colorful, and more special?

1. The Christmas tree and the colorful decorations … I love the green Christmas tree with all the ornaments and toys hanging from it and I love the way people gets to decorate their homes with warm colors which are suitable for the winter like deep green and bright red.

2. I love the idea of Santa Claus who is an old man with white beard wearing also a bright red and white costume and brings gifts for everyone and put candies in his pockets and in colorful knitted and embroidered socks… although I don't believe in what he represents but I love him as a symbol.

3. I love the snowman and the snow balls and the snow flakes, anything related with the snow… I only saw it and felt it once during my visit to Denmark and I miss it a lot.

4. I'm sorry to say that but I like the tunes of Christmas songs and carols more than songs of eid… It's better for me to listen to (All I want from Christmas) or (feliz Navidad) performed by Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, or Michael Bolton… rather than to listen to the stupid kids song of safaa' Abol So'oud (Ahlan Ahlan bel eid)!!!

5. Gifts are so important, family exchange a lot of different gifts with colorful and delightful wrappings… it really makes Christmas good.

6. Sale is everywhere… The Christmas season is the best time in the year to do some shopping, either for clothes, kitchenware, furniture, accessories… etc.

7. The streets look clean and decorated with lights and trees.

8. There are millions of movies about Christmas, most of them are comedies, romantic comedies, or… pure comedy!
But not a single respectful movie about our feast and how we celebrate it nowadays or the social and economical issues during the time of the feast.

Finally, that's why I find the catholic Christmas more cheerful and colorful than any other feast in the world or in any religion.
Of course I don't believe in Christmas as a day or in it's spirit and I don't really think it was the day that Jesus (peace be upon him) was born in, due to many historical certified references of course.
But I only love the symbols.

What I love about our feast is its spirituality and holiness and what it really represents, but what I like about Christmas is the way it's celebrated… that's it.
I hope one day we can add colors, gifts, and cheerful symbols to our feast.

4 comments:

Daisy said...

I think that part of the magic of Christmas is in the lights. At the time of year that is darkest we add lights and colors of the holidays to get us through it. You can see this even in early pagan celebrations of solstice which is where many of Christmas' traditions originate.

Peace and good wishes to you. Glad I stumbled onto your blog.

MariumaZ said...

dear daisybug,
Thanx for ur comment, I visited ur blog and I found it very intersting to follow.. although of the age difference between us, but I felt you have a heart and soul of a 20 year old lady... ur profile is nice and cool and I found we have somethings in common...
Glad to know u and know ur blog..
keep up and take care:)

Lens Geek said...

i share the same opinions with u about how Christmas is cheerful and colorful with it's colors while we don't enjoy Eid at the same way coz we don't really feel that happiness. I also hate that eid's foolish song i don't know why singers don't sing new eid songs while they keep repeat the foolish song over and over i remember that i hate it since i was 7 years old !!
Good point lady

MariumaZ said...

Hey Ahmad,
Do you have an idea of who can we choose to sing a new song for our feast???
But don't tell me Hany shaker:)))